Next year’s Wimbledon will take place with or without fans, organisers have confirmed.
A statement released by the All England Lawn Tennis Club on Saturday confirmed they are planning for the event with or without spectators.
Wimbledon was cancelled this year for the first time since World War Two, but had an insurance policy that covered for any losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
That policy no longer exists, meaning that a second cancellation would have a significant financial impact on the game in the UK.
“We are actively engaged in planning for next year’s Championships and are considering multiple scenarios at this point in time, given that The Championships is still many months away,” organisers said in a statement.
Former world No. 1 and Wimbledon champion in 2013 and 2016, Andy Murray has said the tournament should go ahead if fans are not able to attend.
“I think the events that have gone on so far, the ones I’ve been involved in, have been pretty successful,” Murray said.
“For a player, for sure it is not the same playing without fans, but I’d still way rather be playing the event than not. That’s for sure.”
“I would like to see Wimbledon go ahead regardless of whether there is fans or not. But, yeah, we’ll see what they decide.”