With his recovery from last month’s shoulder injury a closely-called thing, Stefanos Tsitsipas remained highly pessimistic about making any kind of impression as the Indian Wells Masters began on Wednesday.
The world No. 3 Greek will be making his first start since losing in the second round in Rotterdam three weeks ago to Jannik Sinner.
Tsitsipas reached the quarter-finals here in 2021 but looks unlikely to repeat.
“I haven’t said it a lot of times in my career but I don’t think I will be capable of going deep. The main priority is getting my body ready and fixed for the clay court swing,” he said.
“I am still in recovery and I won’t be pretending that I have chances of doing well in these next two tournaments: that would be wrong,”
Tsitsipas added that he was just not able to simply retire from this month’s Masters 1000 pair. “I made a deal with myself that I will not be skipping the next two events.”
He added: “I need to take my time and have the right medical team by my side to help me recover to the fullest and not have complications like this in the future.”
Main photo:- Stefanos Tsitsipas lost Australian Open 2023 Men’s singles final by Roger Parker International Sports Fotos Ltd