Injured Dominic Thiem on Wednesday called time on his hard-luck 2021 season, with the Austrian advising he will not be able to defend his US Open title.
The breakthrough champion a year ago in New York amid COVID-19 pandemic conditions, broke the news to fans on social media.
The 27-year-old hurt his right wrist during the Mallorca grass event in June and has been working on his recovery ever since.
But a recent setback showed that the injury needs more to heal.
“Unfortunately I’ve had to withdraw from the US Open and will miss the rest of the 2021 season,” Thiem posted.
“I’m really disappointed to not be able to defend the title in New York but I haven’t recovered.
“The past six weeks I’ve been following the medical advice, wearing the wrist splint, doing exercise every day to stay in shape before starting to train back on court.
“But last week I hit a ball during training and started to feel some pain again. After some tests, they said my wrist needs even more time.”
Thiem said he will follow medical advice and give it up for 2021.”I’ll wear the wrist splint for a couple of more weeks before starting with exercise and training with the racquet again.
“I know this is what I have to do. I have a long career ahead of me and it’s important not to take risks and rush back.”
Thiem said he will use any free time to work towards social causes close to his heart including ocean conservation and nature.