Roberto Bautista Agut reversed his losing scoreline of six days ago as the Spaniard stung top seed Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-2 in the ATP Mallorca quarter-finals on Thursday.
The upset in 71 minutes ends the grass season for the ATP No. 1, who is banned from playing at Wimbledon due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and will now head to his home in Monte Carlo to sit out the major and prepare for the North American hardcourt campaign.
It was all upside for RBA, who beat a No. 1 for the fourth time in his career after inflicting three defeats on Novak Djokovic.
“I had to play very good to beat Daniil. He’s the No. 1, the last (defending) champion here in Mallorca,” the Spanish veteran said
“He just beat me a few days ago. (Today) I played a really complete match.
“I was more convinced with my game today, hitting strong, very solid.”
The fifth-seeded winner salvaged the single break point he faced in the 71-minute success.
“You need to be very confident; last week I was a bit far,” Bautista Agut said.
“Today, I (had) a lot of confidence. I knew that if I (played) a good match, I would get my chances, and I got (them).”
RBA owns a grass title from eight years ago in the Netherlands and also played the Wimbledon semis in 2019.
Main photo:- Roberto Bautista Agut beating Daniil Medvedev in Mallorca – by ATP/Mallorca Championship