Davis Cup organiser Gerard Pique has admitted this year’s event may not go ahead as Europe battles to control the Covid-19 pandemic.
Soccer star Pique’s company Kosmos has made a massive financial investment in the new format – thought to be as much as $3 billion, but he said today he was “pessimistic” about the chances of the event talking place later this year.
“There is a lot of uncertainty, we try to be aware of what the government says regarding sports and to whether we can put spectators inside the Caja Magica,” Pique told Movistar.
“I would say I am a bit pessimistic, because a Davis Cup without fans is difficult.
“I think that nobody at the moment has the certainty that we can put fans in or if it will have to be behind closed doors. As the days go by, I suppose we will have a little more clarity.”
Spain has just begun the low process of reopening after weeks of lockdown with tennis players being able to train at local facilities from next week.
The country is on. four-stage plan and isa hoping its prestigious La Liga soccer league will recommence next month.
But the country’s recovery plan will only allow a maximum of 50 people at indoor events and it is not known if that will be increased by the time the event is due to begin in November.
Held at the Caja Magica, the total capacity of the major court is 12,500.
Last year Spain won the title for the first time since 2011 after they defeated Canada in the final.
The Davis Cup is scheduled to take place between November 23-29 in Madrid.
The ATP, WTA and ITF will not restart until at least July 13th, but there is speculation the suspension will be extended.