Rafael Nadal has vowed to bear down on training after suffering a 7-6(9), 4-6, 6-3 humiliation at the hands of Croat Borna Coric in his opening match at the Cincinnati Masters.
The ATP No. 3 was playing for the first time since pulling out of a Wimbledon semi-final with Nick Kyrgios due to the abdominal injury which bothers him still.
After going down in a rain-marred struggle, the 36-year-old with 22 Grand Slam titles said that he still needs time to return to form.
That commodity will be in short supply with the US Open starting a week from Monday.
“The main thing for me is to stay healthy. This injury has been difficult to manage, to be honest.
“The last month and a half haven’t been easy, because having a tear on the abdominal, you don’t know when you are 100 per cent over the thing.
“It’s hard to give your best on every serve.”
The Spaniard will dedicate the next days to his fitness as he puts all focus on the final Grand Slam of the season.
“In terms of New York, it’s a Grand Slam, a different kind of tournament,” he said.
“I know that to gain condition. I will have two and on the Tour practising with the guys (other players). .
“I was only able to play two sets before this match in the last 40 days.
Main photo:- Rafa Nadal losing to Borna Coric – by ATP Tour.com