Murray on the comeback trail

Andy Murray returned to a tennis court on Monday – two months after undergoing hip resurfacing surgery.

Murray, who has not played competitively since his first round exit at the Australian Open in January, said last month he could possibly play at Wimbledon as he was now pain free after the surgery.

 

The 31-year-old posted a short video on Instagram, where he was seen hitting the ball in an outdoor court while rallying with a wall with a caption, “It’s a start.”

Murray had said he was not sure he could play in the singles draw at Wimbledon, a tournament he has won twice, but targeted a possible return in doubles at this year’s tournament as it put less stress on his hip.

The three-times Grand Slam champion compared his situation to that of American doubles player Bob Bryan who returned to the court 5-1/2 months after a similar procedure.

 

Murray could become the first professional player to return to the game having had a metal hip socket fitted.

hip allows me to do that without pain and I can still enjoy it then I’d like to try. But if I can’t, then I can’t, and I’ll be happy I’m not in pain every day.”

Murray admitted he would only attempt to play at Wimbledon if he felt he could be competitive and he wouldn’t damage his body even more.

Wimbledon begins on July 1 this year and Murray will hope to play a warm-up event – possibly at Queen’s Club or Eastbourne – before he takes on SW19.

He recently said: “I would hate to go on the court at Wimbledon and for something bad to happen or to feel really bad and apprehensive and for it to go really badly.

“If my hip allows me to do that without pain and I can still enjoy it then I’d like to try. But if I can’t, then I can’t, and I’ll be happy I’m not in pain every day.”

Peter Rowe

Recent Posts

Eventual career end a touchy topic for Novak

With his 38th birthday in little over a month, Novak Djokovic is understandably thinking of…

14 minutes ago

Alcaraz puts No. 1 dream to the side for now

Carlos Alcaraz is much more concerned with winning his first career match at the Monte Carlo…

44 minutes ago

Tsitsipas inspired by tennis return to Europe

Greek-born Stefanos Tsitsipas is ready to defend his Monte Carlo title, boosted by the annual ATP…

21 hours ago

Zverev counts on home cooking in Monaco

Alexander Zverev hopes a week of home cooking and the influence of visiting family will…

21 hours ago

Raducanu dumps BJK Cup appearance

Emma Raducanu has made a last-minute schedule change, with the Briton withdrawing from BJK Cup…

3 days ago

Badosa aims for back injury return by Madrid

Paula Badosa has given herself less than a month to be fit for the Madrid…

5 days ago