Former world No. 1 Andy Murray says he is is looking forward to playing in front of a crowd at Wimbledon this year, but knows there is still work to be done for that to happen.
Murray has also called on other players to stop complaining and accept the ‘bubble tour’ the pro game is now play under.
“For me, it would make a huge difference,” Murray told the BBC of the spectator plan.
“Hopefully we can get some good crowds in. We’ve heard 30 per cent, but I don’t know if that’s 30 per cent of their usual capacity but they’ll be allowed to have Centre Court and Court One full. So we’ll see.
“At the beginning I didn’t miss it (crowds) that much, I was just pumped to be competing again. But, as the weeks go on, that’s kind of what you play for, to play in front of big crowds and play in great atmospheres. It’s something that I’ve definitely missed.”
Of hotel quarantines and the restrictions in place, Murray said he would rather not be stating in hotels, “but, if that’s what we’ve got to do to keep everyone safe, then that’s what we’ll do.
“It would be very odd playing at Wimbledon without not just being able to see your family and stuff, but not having them there to support in the matches as well.
“That’s the times we’re living in. Hopefully, if we keep going with the vaccinations, there’ll be a possibility for, potentially, family members and friends that have been vaccinated to come in and get tickets and come to support. If not, that’s what it will have to be this year.”
Murray said it wasn’t ‘much fun’ staying in quarantine in In Miami.
“You look out of the window and the whole city’s completely open but the players are obviously in the bubble. I can appreciate from the players’ perspective that that can be frustrating,” he said.
“And, because it’s been going on for a while, it’s a bit tiring. And I know for some of the Aussie players, they’re looking at nine or 10 months away from home because if they go home they have to do two weeks in a hotel.
“So I appreciate all that, that it is difficult. But, at the same time, seeing 60,000 people died in Brazil last month because of coronavirus, if this is what we have to do to be able to continue to do our jobs and to give the tournaments some security [then so be it].
Wimbledon was cancelled last year. This year’s event begins on June 28, seven days after all Covid restrictions could be lifted in London.