The fan-free US Open on Tuesday reported a first positive test for COVID-19, with a player support team member the likely suspect.

The Grand Slam to be played in isolation at Flushing Meadows from August 31 and proceeded by the “Cincinnati” Masters at the same venue, is due to operate under a strict quarantine protocol in the world’s worst-hit virus nation (5.4 million cases, more than 170,000 deaths).

“An individual (non-player) has tested positive for COVID-19 within the Western & Southern Open (Cincinnati) and US Open controlled environment. The individual is asymptomatic,” the USTA said in a statement..

 “The USTA, together with its medical advisors and infectious disease specialist from the Mount Sinai Health System, confirmed a positive test result for an individual. In accordance with New York State Department of Health requirements.

“(Under) CDC guidelines and the tournament health and safety protocols, the individual has been advised that they must isolate for at least 10 days. In addition, contact tracing has been initiated to determine if anyone must quarantine for 14 days.”

Organisers said that the positive hit was the only one so far out of 1,400 performed in connection with the event since last Thursday when the protocol began.

Players at the event which will be missing six of the women’s Top 10 along with men’s defending champion Rafael Nadal and 2015 winner Stan Wawrinka are tested upon arrival at a designated hotel and not allowed to leave their rooms until they have been tested negative.

They are then given an armband which allows access to the tournament site.

Share:

Leave a Reply