Novalk Djokovic on Wednesday expressed his pleasure at heading back to the Australian Open after being banned last January, with the Serb confirming the news after a win in Turin at the ATP Finals.
The former world No. 1 who was tossed out of Oz due 11 months ago after trying to enter without any COVID jabs, said the normal three-year ban for deportees had been lifted for him.
“I was very happy to receive the news yesterday,” he said after hammering Andrey Rublev 6-4, 6-1 in the end-of-season showpiece event.
“It was a relief obviously. . I could not receive better news for sure.
“Knowing that I have clarity now, (I know) what to do in the off-season, starting the season in Australia. It also relieves some of the pressure me and my team felt.”
Djokovic added of the almost unheard-of gesture from the Australian government which is already producing local backlash after the immigration minister made the call:
“The Australian Open has been my most successful Grand Slam (nine titles). I’ve made some of the best memories there.
“Of course, I want to go back there, I want to play tennis, do what I do best, hopefully have a great Australian summer.”
Emma Raducanu has made a last-minute schedule change, with the Briton withdrawing from BJK Cup…
Paula Badosa has given herself less than a month to be fit for the Madrid…
Czech Jakub Mensik crashed the Miami Masters party for Novak Djokovic as the teenager kept…
Aryna Sabalenka shook off a one-hours rain delay as she defeated Jessica Pegula for the…
Daria Kastakina will make an immediate move to Australia and take over the title as…
Novak Djokovic moved to within one victory of his record 100th career title, with the…