Depleted resources are to blame for Dominic Thiem’s withdrawal from the prestige start of the European clay season in Monte Carlo.
The reigning US Open winner whose 2021 season has been something of a disappointment has pulled the plug on his appearance in the principality, citing poor form which has included early exits in both Doha and Dubai last month.
“After Doha and Dubai I needed a break,” Thiem said on his official website.
“I‘m not at 100 per cent yet. I‘m so sorry, I would have loved to play in Monte Carlo, but it won‘t work out.”
“I‘m having tough weeks ahead of me, I have a lot of work to do.”
The Austrian did not compete in the Miami Masters which is wrapping this Easter weekend and is next due to play in Belgrade at Novak Djokovic’s second attempt at staging an ATP 250.
That clay week begins April 19, meaning that Thiem will renounce his title defence in Barcelona at the much more prestigious ATP 500 series in the Catalan capital.
The No. 4 has been grappling with a nagging foot problem, but that is said to be restricted mainly to hardcourt and should not be a factor on clay.