Alexander Zverev is keeping himself and his team in a self-styled “anti-COVID  buble as he makes his way through the Australian Open.

The German Olympic champion reached the third round on Wednesday, taking out Australian John Millman 6-4, 6-4, 6-0.

But the 23-year-old is living the monk’s life for fear of contacting the virus.

“We are not being controlled with tests, so if that were done, more positives would come out,” he said.

“I don’t want to go out to restaurants, I don’t want to take the slightest risks in this regard.

“I’m (living in) a kind of bubble for myself. I want to do what best possible here and catching COVID is clear that it would decisively prevent me.”

Zverev said that with less restrictions on players – no more social isolation as per the 2021 edition  between tennis site and hotel – “it is clear that this year in Australia there are more cases than last year, as simple as that.

“We now have more permission to go out to eat, to do what we want, etc. So it is normal that there are more infections.”

Share:

Leave a Reply