Roland Garros Tournament Director Guy Forget said they will follow the recommendations from the French Government when it comes to holding the French Open in Paris in May.
Speaking to L’Equipe Magazine, Forget said the tournaments scheduled for the coming weeks were all exposed.
“Organised behind closed doors? It would also be a problem,” he said.
“Would it be economically viable? By the time of Roland-Garros (May 24 to June 7), there is time left but at the same time things will move will happen quickly.
Forget said that “first and foremost, the health of the players and spectators were paramount”.
“We will explore all the possibilities but, in any case, the decision will not be up to the French Federation.
“We will follow the recommendations. The big unknown at the moment is how long it will last.”
The French Minister for Sport announced further restrictions at sporting events on Monday. No more than 1000 spectators will be allowed to attend a sporting event in France up until April 15.
The French Open is the premier clay court Grand Slam event in the world.
The tournament was won by Spain’s Rafael Nadal and Australia’s Ash Barty last year.
The WTA today said it hopes to go ahead with the rest of its 2020 calendar as per plan, although several sporting events have been cancelled or postponed around the world due to the outbreak of the coronavirus.
“We are proceeding with the remainder of the 2020 WTA Tour season as planned but we will be prepared to make any changes, if deemed necessary in due time. There isn’t anything more important than protecting the health of our players, WTA and event staff, and fans who attend WTA events,” the organisation told Reuters.
“We are working closely with our tournaments, so they are in the best position to provide for health and safety precautions in their venues”.
The ITF had also said it is in constant touch with independent medical and travel advisers and would take any action as required based on expert advice.
The Davis Cup World Group Qualifiers are scheduled for this weekend and the inaugural version of the Fed Cup Finals is scheduled to be held in Budapest, Hungary from April 14 to 19.
The ATP Tour told Reuters it was in regular contact with players and tournament members. “We continue to closely monitor the situation as it evolves,” it said.
The men’s tour has seen some Challenger events cancelled in China, while the final of a Challenger event in Bergamo, Italy was also cancelled due to the outbreak of the virus.
The cancellation of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells could cost the local economy $400 million, according to a report in Hotsr.com.
The most recent survey done in 2017 to measure the economic impact of the event to the area estimated it to be more than $400 million with the tournament attracting more than 450,000 people, including 124,000 from outside the region.
Scott White, president and CEO of the Greater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau, told Hotsr: “It’s one of our biggest events of the year. This is a tough one to get through. I think a lot of people were very surprised by the postponement.”
More from Breaking News
According to two influential tennis insiders, Wimbledon 2020 will not take place, nor will there be any other grass court …