COVID-19 sufferer Paula Badosa says she feels abandoned by Australian Open organisers as she recovers from the virus in hard lockdown.
Badosa will not be allowed to leave her room before January 31 but if she is found to have the new strain of the virus she will not be allowed to return to training on February 5 – three days before the Open begins.
“I feel abandoned because I don’t have training equipment which I requested five days ago, I haven’t been told which type of the virus I have, I’ve had no information from the tournament,” Badosa told Spanish newspaper Marca.
“It’s far and away the worst experience of my career,” Badosa said.
“The number one thing people recommend when you have the virus is to open the windows to let in air, but I don’t have windows in my hotel room and it’s barely 15 metres square.
“I have lost a lot of my fitness levels, especially my strength. If I can come out on January 31 I’ll have a week to get in shape. If it’s February 5 it will be impossible to recover in time for the tournament.”
Badosa revealed on Twitter last week her positive test for the virus.
“I have some bad news. Today, I received a positive Covid-19 test result,” she wrote.
“I’m feeling unwell and have some symptoms, but I’ll try to recover as soon as possible listening to the doctors.
I have been taken to a health hotel to self-isolate and be monitored. Thanks for your support. We’ll be back stronger.”