The COVID-19 cancellation of the Montreal WTA event in August has dealt another blow to the comeback attempts of Canada’s Bianca Andreescu.
The 19-year-old who has yet to hit a ball on the circuit this season has moved from one injury to the next and has still not gotten back on court since her last appearance in October in Shenzhen.
The defending US Open titleholder who has dealt with an injured right knee was preparing to defend her Indian Wells title last month.
But that Californian event was cancelled on short notice due to the virus; the move started a chain reaction which will now keep all of tennis shut down until at least July 19 – three months down the track.
The Montreal decision was just the latest blow to morale for the sixth-ranked teenager.
Andreescu will now be prevented from defending the Canadian trophy she lifted eight months ago as Serena Williams retired trailing 3-1 in Toronto.
“I was shocked, but I know they made the right decision. Health is No. 1,” Andreescu said of the tennis-wide halt.
Meanwhile, fellow teen Coco Gauff, 16, cannot wait to get stuck in when 2020 finally resumed, with the American eager to play back-to-back Grand Slams in August-September if that comes to pass.
The US Open, starting August 31, looks to be in danger, being located at the heart of the New York virus outbreak in Queens, New York
Should it somehow go ahead after Wimbledon was cancelled for 2020, the major would be followed by the rescheduled French Open, now due to start on September 20, a week after the US final would theoretically be played.
“It’s not ideal,” Gauff said of the scheduling. “But I’d rather play back to back Slams than no Slams at all.
“That’s gonna be the answer for everyone. It’s not ideal, but, yeah.”
Gauff claimed her first WTA title last October in Linz after upsetting Venus Williams in the first rounds at Wimbledon last summer and the Australian Open in January.
She also did in Melbourne holder Naomi Osaka in the third round before losing to fellow American young gun Sofia Kenin.